Savvy travelers know that the end of summer means fabulous deals during the “shoulder season.” Traveling during this time — the period between the peak and off seasons — ensures that you’ll enjoy fantastic weather, quieter locations and lower costs. While everyone else is planning their next summer vacation, why not consider one of these fabulous destinations for your shoulder season getaway?
New York City
Anytime is a great time to hit the Big Apple, but there’s something particularly sweet about heading to New York City when the air just starts to take on a slight chill and the leaves of Central Park’s lush trees begin changing colors in preparation for fall. Some of the city’s major autumn events and popular activities include:
- New York Film Festival: From late September through mid-October
- Feast of San Gennaro: 11-day festival in September
- Renting a bike and exploring Governor’s Island or biking over the Brooklyn Bridge for amazing skyline views
- People-watching and enjoying the foliage at Brooklyn Botanic Garden or The Cloisters
Sure, the cherry blossoms are beautiful in spring, but as Washington, D.C. slides into autumn, there is a whole set of other draws. From fall festivals to spectacular foliage, this is a fabulous time to explore the nation’s capital. In addition to all the standby attractions like the monuments, museums and Rock Creek Park, D.C. also hosts some fabulous fall festivities, including:
- Free concerts at the National Gallery of Art, held every Sunday
- Oktoberfest at many of the city’s craft breweries and open-air beer gardens
Unlike the punishing heat and humidity of an Austin summer, from September until November, the city’s weather hits a sweet spot — warm enough to be comfortable, but cool enough to make exploring the outdoors fun with activities like:
- Ride the Zilker Zephyr in Zilker Park
- Paddle around Lady Bird Lake
- Hike Mount Bonnell for sweeping city views
- Check out the fall festival and corn maze at Barton Hill Farms, which runs from late September through early November
Are you ready to start planning a trip to one of these destinations? Visit allegiant.com today.